- What medical cannabis products do you analyze?
We analyze ALL cannabis products: flowers, concentrates, kief, hash, oils, tinctures and edibles.
- Who is your service available to?
Our laboratory services are available to California Medical Marijuana Patients who have a current doctor’s recommendation. We also serve dispensaries, cooperatives, collectives, concentrate producers, edible manufacturers and growers.
- I live in a state other than California. Can I get samples tested?
Unfortunately we are unable to help medical marijuana patients outside of California, thus our laboratory services are ONLY available to California Medical Marijuana Patients who have a current doctor’s recommendation.
- What collectives use your service?
Steep Hill Lab tests samples for collectives and dispensaries all across CA. Ask your local collectives and dispensaries if they test their medical cannabis
- Is Steep Hill Lab affiliated with Harborside Health Center in Oakland or any other dispensaries?
Our laboratory is privately owned, independently operated and is not affiliated with any specific dispensary or collective. Harborside Health Center is an industry leader and was one of the first dispensaries to have all their products tested by Steep Hill Lab.
- Do we provide service to those outside of California?
Steep Hill Lab only tests within the State of California.
- Is Steep Hill Lab hiring?
We are currently looking for Outside Sales Representative and Marketing Interns. Email your resume and a detailed but brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Laboratory and Technical Questions
- What lab equipment does Steep Hill use?
- AGILENT 7890 Gas Chromatograph/Flame Ionization Detector(FID) with 7863 Autosampler
- AGILENT 5975 Mass Spectrometer w/EI
- AGILENT 1100 series HPLC
- Spectramax 250 microplate reader
- Nuaire 425-600 Class 2 Biological Safety Hood
- Binder BD-240 Incubator
- What is a GCMS and how does it work?
Gas Chromatography-mass spectrometry is a laboratory method, which employs a machine that uses gas-liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry to identify various chemical compounds within a sample.The Royal Society of Chemistry explaining how a GCMS works.
- What is THC, CBD, CBN?
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), Cannabidiol (CBD) and Cannabinol (CBN) are the main chemical compounds found in cannabis shown to have medicinal benefits.To learn more about THC, CBD, and CBN, check out the following links:
- How does the lab test for potency?
Steep Hill Lab uses a Gas Chromotagrapher-mass spectrometry to determine the cannabinoid profile (levels of THC, CBD, CBN) for a given sample. Please contact us and a lab certified technician or experienced sales rep. can explain it to you in detail how your sample runs through the lab.
- How does the lab test for mold?
Molds are extracted from plant material into sterile water. The water extract is then spread on several Petri dishes with different media. The media is then incubated and analyzed under microscope by trained microbiologists who identify the molds after they sporulate. A general plate count is taken in addition to a speculated count.
- How does the lab test for pesticides?
Our pesticide chemist utilizes enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) method to test for the presence of pesticides in cannabis samples. Given a positive detection in a sample, the HPLC will be used to further analyze the suspect sample.
- Is the lab certified?
We are currently in the process of getting ISO 17025 certified.
- What amount of Cannabis is required for testing?
At least 2 grams is needed for potency testing and another 2 grams for safety screening.
- What regions of California do you serve?
We serve all of California.
- Can I drop off samples or have a courier pick them up?
You can do both. Please talk with a sales representative to discuss the best option for email@example.com
- What is the typical turnaround time for testing?
For analytical testing, typical turnaround is 3-5 business days.
For mold testing, incubation takes 5-10 business days.